Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Less is less

During surgery last week they put in two nerve blocks, on the right and left of my abdomen, to help with pain.  They are very similar to an epidural just in a different place. The medication flows directly into the catheters.  These were two of my many tubes.

On Sunday one of the connections became disconnected and no one noticed for a while.  It probably came loose when I moved from the bed to the chair.  This was the day of my big walk, and after sitting in the chair for a couple hours I realized I felt pretty lousy and was not sure why, and worried about walking when I felt that way.  When a nurse came to check vitals and placed the blood pressure cuff, I noticed my gown was soaking wet; the medicine had been dripping on the chair for a couple hours.

I got re-connected and in a little while felt much better again.  So I knew what a difference the blocks were making.  Yesterday they removed them all together and I was very nervous about the pain getting worse, but it held steady most of the day.  I even didn't take the full dose of my oral pain meds thinking I didn't need it.

That was a mistake.  Last night was long and the incision seemed to just radiate and throb all night.  I finally had to ask for the "backup" IV meds at 5am just to get some sleep.  I am trying to get back on track now and make sure I take the full dose every time, on time.  I am all for two fewer tubes but I wish it could have been a smoother transition.

Little speed bump.  And I keep remembering I'm just trying to get home so I can recover fully from this surgery.  I haven't even started chemo.  I don't even know what else is coming for me.  

Today might be a long day. 

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up Erin, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, but things are bound to improve from here. Heal up! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, just a little speed bump. Your body went through a lot and just remember to focus, build that strength up. You're doing great considering the bigger picture here. We know its going to be a journey to good health and we're all here along the way to tell you you can do this.

    ReplyDelete