Friday, September 25, 2015

Out and about

I felt almost normal today... not like someone who received a stage IV cancer diagnosis and had two surgeries all in the last two months.  I didn't sit around my house all day.  Instead I did stuff normal people do all the time:

- I drove my car.  First time since going back in the hospital the second time (over a month ago!).  I'm glad to report I've not forgotten how.
- I got my hair cut. Fourth time chopping it off for Locks of Love.  That's eight years of growing and cutting.  Here are my braids for donation and my new look.  Shortest and grayest one yet!


- I ate lunch out.  It was just Au Bon Pain, but still, it was lunch out!
- I had an appointment for a breast ultrasound.  I also had a "surprise" mammogram, as I was apparently due for one (but hadn't scheduled it).  This was really nerve wracking; I wasn't sure if the portacath would be in the way, or the ostomy for that matter... sometimes you have to hold awkward positions against the machine, and I do not have a long torso, and just assumed all this would be in the way or would get pulled uncomfortably during all the boob mashing.  In the end it wasn't that bad, but it did remind me of everything going on and I was all teary in between images.  The ultrasound revealed lots of cysts but this wasn't really a surprise.  Since I started regular mammograms, just two years ago, I've also had three ultrasounds and maybe 5-6 cysts aspirated (no bad results).  I had one aspirated when I was 35 or 36 also - had an "early" mammogram as I had felt something, and thankfully it turned out to be nothing.  (That traumatic experience resulted in an awesome de-stress / decompress dinner with my excellent friend Dean.  Thanks again, Dean!).  And since I've lost so much weight, the tissue was more dense than the last time around, which meant additional squishing and scanning to get a good look.  Luckily, the doctor didn't see anything requiring aspiration this time so just another ultrasound for me in six months.  Huge relief and glad to have this out of the way before treatment starts.

And then I came home and had a snack and watched some TV and all is well :)  Looking forward to a relaxing weekend before heading back into the unknown.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, congrats to you for another successful Locks for Love, always admired you for doing that. The new doo looks good on you. Relaxing this weekend is good for the mind, go out and sit in the yard - should be nice Sunday. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as Monday comes along. Stay strong and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, maybe it's time to reprise that dinner :) I was just telling someone this weekend about how we ended up staying late and having a whole bourbon tour from our friendly bourbon-knowledgeable waiter. Anyhow, good luck with your appointment tomorrow and please report back how everything went! xo

    ReplyDelete