Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Stage IV

My surgeon received the pathology today and confirmed the tumor on my colon was perforated and the cancer had metastasized to both the right and left ovaries.  The uterus was unaffected.  Four lymph nodes were affected out of the twenty-something they removed.  She had also seen something on the small intestine but turned out to be just a pus like substance, not tumor.  There is some evidence that cancer cells remain on the right pelvic wall.  She'll confirm with my oncologist but chemotherapy is still the expected next step once I've recovered from this surgery, possibly followed by radiation.

Oh, and she removed my appendix too.  Package deal.

No real surprises, I suppose - we always knew it was stage III or IV.  What a lot of internal real estate to remove at once.

So now to recover already!

2 comments:

  1. Only four out of 20 sounds like good news. Heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No real surprise, but yes, it is now for sure so continue to build strength, physically & mentally, and maintain focus. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Prepare for the ride.....we're all at your side!

    ReplyDelete