Wednesday, September 9, 2015

First week home

I have now been home for one week.  Recovering from the second surgery has been quite different from the first.  I was back to work (remotely) 6 days after the first surgery.  6 days after the second one, I had only just been discharged.  I'm trying to remember that so I don't think I'm not making any progress this time around.

There are a few things I've managed to accomplish though - as of today, I can:

-- sleep through the night without additional pain meds (no more setting my alarm for 3am!)
-- walk up and down the stairs without my cane
-- take a more or less normal shower
-- empty the dishwasher (but no lifting too many plates at a time...)
-- get up the outside stairs to hang out on our back ledge patio
-- pick the tomatoes in the garden
-- make it through the day with a much smaller dose of oxycodone than when I first came home

Still not allowed to pick up my little guy but trying to snuggle him as much as possible. And I still haven't taken a "real" walk, just puttering around the house, but I guess that's good enough for the moment.  I also can't quite bend forward all the way to pick stuff up but can work around that to some extent (yoga is handy).

On Friday I have an appointment to get my incision staples removed.  That will be the first time I've left the house since I came home.  Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news and I'd say you have made progress. It is good to hear you're up and puttering about. And, to spend time outside is good for the whole self. You will soon see more progress as the body heals from the surgery. It will let you know when to go further and when to slow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really great progress! I know you probably wanted more but, don't rush yourself. It's great tomato picking right now. Of course, all the ripe tomatoes come at once so enjoy them as much as you can!

    Lenia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard you made banana bread too! You're doing great sis! Talk to again soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete