Monday, September 28, 2015

Course 1 (of 12)

Well, the bad news is that I lost the fantastically detailed blog post that I wrote continuously since getting to DFCI this morning.  The good news is that the worst thing that happened today was losing that blog post.

And as I'll never be able to recreate it, let me sum up:

- Arrived on time for labs only to be told they were running 45 minutes late.  In reality it was more like an hour and 15 minutes.  So the whole day was backed up a bit.  It only really affected me eating lunch (which I did do eventually).

- I was more worried about my port behaving for the blood draw than almost anything else, believe it or not.  But it did!  Relief.

- The regimen I'm on is known as FOLFOX.  After an appetizer of two different anti-nausea medications, the first two hours were an infusion of oxaliplatin (chemotherapy) and leucovorin (not chemo; a supplement that works with the chemo).  The nurse advised me not to google these today as I was on info overload already - gentle readers, please do so on my behalf if you wish and I'll catch up with you in a day or two.  The third is known as 5FU (that's right, eff you, cancer).  I got a bolus of this at the infusion center and am now on the way home with my awesome pump full of f*you that will continuously administer the drug for about another 2 days.

I was told to expect to develop a sensitivity to cold basically anytime now, that will last a couple of days (thanks to the oxaliplatin).  I was also told to expect fatigue to set in in another day or two.  There are some other possible side effects but those are apparently the most common.  At the moment I feel fine, and felt fine during the infusions... it's a waiting game.

So in the meantime, some pics - my view from my spot in the infusion room today:


Me getting infused:


And my new toy:


Let's see what tomorrow brings.



4 comments:

  1. My 2 ither friends going through this say to have ice packs ready for muscle pain. And to be prepared for odd food isdyes, e.g. lactose intolerance.

    Praying for good outcomes

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2 ither friends going through this say to have ice packs ready for muscle pain. And to be prepared for odd food isdyes, e.g. lactose intolerance.

    Praying for good outcomes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin, been following your updates regularly. Just wanted to say we are thinking of you and praying for your recovery, hopefully this is the last hurdle on the road to getting well! Leonie (Saoirse's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erin, you're too funny with all of this, but I'm glad to see your sense of humor come through. The view was nice. I tried looking up the meds and it was a bit complicated to me, seems like they repeat themselves with each other work, but, I like the 5FU - that a girl :-)

    ReplyDelete