Thursday, February 4, 2016

Genetically in the clear... as far as we know

I recently received the results of the genetic testing of my tumor, via phone, and learned everything was negative (normal).  Today I got the hard copy report in the mail.  The report has much more interesting words for normal, such as "microsatellite stable (MSS)."  In any case, this testing did not identify any underlying genetic cause for my cancer.  In other words I just got lucky.  Or, it could have been caused by a combination of mutations this testing cannot detect, involving genes we don't yet suspect, etc.

Good news for my kids I suppose, but not terribly satisfying.  And so I commend all those commencing the moonshot to eradicate this disease once and for all, on World Cancer Day no less, and hope there are more satisfying answers in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment