Monday, February 29, 2016

Course 12 (of 12) - finally

Welcome to the last chemotherapy bash!!  Today I again have a bed, this time in a room with a great big wall of window, which makes all the difference.  I have dressed for infusion success.  We were on time - so, early, given appointments are scheduled about an hour apart - and was able to get into the infusion room an entire hour early.  Pre-meds are done and the infusion of the evil drug has commenced.  I'm keeping an eye on the clock to ensure I get past the point-of-first-reaction without incident.  I did get a bit of a head cold over the weekend but all my numbers were good.  No one expects any issues. Knock on all the wood.

I did learn today that neuropathy can be a delayed reaction.  I could get numbness and tingling in my fingers a month or two after chemo is done; just works that way.  If I do get it it is supposed to fade within the next month or so.  The evil drug just hangs on.

I also got my prescription for the oral chemo I'll have to take during radiation: capecitabine, aka XELODA, the warrior princess of chemo drugs.  It's recommended I also take vitamin D supplement and possibly also baby aspirin.  All the pills all the time.

My first radiation appointment is apparently not an actual treatment - they walk me through everything that has to happen but I won't get zapped.  That's just accordingly to my oncologist so I'll verify when I get mapped on 3/16.

Flashback photo from my first infusion way back on 9/28.  Thanks to all for your positive thoughts and energy throughout this crazy ordeal.  We've come a long way, baby. 


4 comments:

  1. You did it! Hope the radiation treatments speed by. Makes me think of that song...Ain't nothin gonna break my stride, nothin can hold me down, Oh No, I got to keep on movin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this milestone! Well done Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on this milestone! Well done Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Dolores and Uncle LarryFebruary 29, 2016 at 3:15 PM

    This will make leap day really special for you!

    ReplyDelete