Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The end is nigh?

That's too dramatic... still... the original plan was for some rounds of chemo to shrink the tumors and then surgically ressect them.  It seems that surgery first may be back on the table.

Yesterday I had an ultrasound to get more info on the ovary - was it torqued, current size, etc.  At the same time I was switched to a morphine drip (1mg/hr).  There was some mixup or delay with the pharmacy so I couldn't get the drip right away.   But the nurse was able to get me a 6mg dose while we waited.

That should have been more than enough but it took FOREVER to get the imaging done.  By then I was in need of more. The radiologist graciously agreed to get my nurse down to give me more, so they could continue imaging (and pushing and prodding and poking). She continued anyway while we waited... I've had plenty of ultrasounds before and unless there is a known issue (hello!) they are never painful. This was painful.

I got the drip and restarted antibiotics
 as soon as I was back in my room.  And then... we waited!!

This morning my oncologist says his suspicion is an infectious mass within the ovarian mass.  That mass also looks like it may be starting to "adhere and communicate" with the colorectal mass.  This is all hard to tease out from one image, so today he's getting the whole team communicating and reviewing all images to date to assess and confirm or revise treatment.  New treatment could be to remove it all before chemotgerapy.

Waiting for again pros, cons, more info.  No tests today at least.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for these updates - not sure if it's helping you or not but it sure helps us. I feel your frustration through the screen - hang in there for answers. Love, Greg, Kim, Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    We wish we could make this all just go away. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you, Ryan, Ava and Connor. We hope tomorrow is a better day.
    Love, Uncle David and Aunt Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erin,
    I read your blog and see that you are really going down a rough path here, but the Erin I know is a very strong woman and your focus will be on the end result. This blog is a great idea and I will definitely be one of many who will be following your journey to better health. Supportive thoughts are sent your way, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and appreciating your taking the time to share your thoughts. PS. I was studying the "baggage" photo and was wondering, which one is the bag of wine? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete