Sunday, January 24, 2016

Snow is cold

Snowzilla 2016 missed us for the most part - we got maybe 4-5 inches of very fluffy, easily shoveled snow.  Nothing compared to last winter.  Nonetheless we hunkered down yesterday and watched movies all day long in our jammies.  I taught Connor how to use the pause and play buttons on the remote so he could pause his Netflix movie himself when he had to get up for whatever (snack, potty, bother Mom with some tiny detail about something). 

I rented and watched, appropriately, Everest.  I had read the book based on the same events some time ago.  As I thought then, it boggles my mind that anyone would want to climb that mountain and pay thousands of dollars to risk their life getting to the top of the world.  I get it in theory I guess; I'm just not that person.  And nowadays, more so than ever before, I find I am quite risk-averse.  Even getting on a plane seems unnecessary to me now (but I'll still get on one - I'm not done traveling yet).  If I'm going to survive this cancer and the treatment to (hopefully) ensure it doesn't come back, it seems irresponsible to risk anything.  I've never been skiing; I won't ever go at this point, except maybe cross-country.  I don't need to sky dive, or rock climb, or zip line even.  And it's okay.  I'm not missing out.  My kids are the top of my world - as long as I get to watch them grow, I'm good.

Today is sunny so Connor and I went on a snow walk to the store for a few groceries.  I don't get nearly enough exercise these days; the fatigue has built up, and day 4 is now almost as bad as day 3.  I still feel much better on day 5 but the fatigue lingers.  Today is day 5.  The store is not quite a half mile away.  Not all the sidewalks were shoveled.  Connor had a blast walking on all the "flat" snow (anything not yet shoveled).  I barely made it home with three not-very-heavy bags of groceries.  That walk was my Everest.  And getting Connor out of his snowpants and boots was a little bit excruciating - snow is cold, and it was all over him!  That side affect lingers too, unfortunately. 

But just three more to go.  Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment