Saturday, November 21, 2015

The holidays are coming...

In order to keep my every other week chemo schedule, I ended up with treatment during the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sadly this means we cannot travel to see our extended family, who typically gather in CT, for the former - it will be day 4 and I just won't be up for it yet.  I'm hopeful we can see them for the latter though, as that holiday falls on day 5, and I've been able to go into the office on day 5 for the last two treatments.  I'm thinking I can probably handle the short car ride to the usual Christmas gathering place if that gathering happens this year.

So next week we will have our first Thanksgiving in our own house, just the four of us.  We will not cook.  We are letting a local farm do that for us (Wilson Farms, in Lexington - highly recommend).  It will be restful and lovely.

I am thankful for my amazing family that has taken such excellent care of me since the sudden awfulness this summer.  I still have not truly digested all that has occurred.  I think some part of me does not want to.  It wants the whole affair to fade into the past, some fuzzy and distant memory, an unfortunate blip.  This is what I do on off weeks - forget.  When every other Monday rolls around, I remember, and suffer through, and count how many more Mondays there are to go.  But I'm lucky... because I have my family, my home, (most of) my health... it could be so much worse.

I hope everyone has a peaceful Thanksgiving holiday.

2 comments:

  1. Erin, wishing you and your family a very nice day on Thanksgiving. Sometimes it is nice to celebrate with just the family at home. Wow, Thanksgiving without the kitchen duty and dirty dishes sounds just wonderful to me and I bet it will be delicious....enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, enjoy the holiday with family!

    ReplyDelete