Wednesday, September 6, 2017

MRI Enterography says...

My MRI results were posted this morning.  I have come to love medical terminology and its detached, matter-of-fact presentation of analyses and conclusions, benign and horrid alike.  And not just because it makes those four years of high school Latin totally worth it.

So - what I think is the relevant bit under "findings:"

BOWEL: Mild restricted diffusion (14:61) and enhancement (10:31)
associated with a short linear track at the prior ileostomy site.
Nondilated bowel. Surgically absent appendix. No signs of bowel
wall edema. No extraluminal intra-abdominal collections.
 
(I've never seen my appendix described as surgically absent before; I'm gonna steal that.)

And a bit later, under "impressions:"

1. Findings raise the possibility of an enterocutaneous fistula
at the ileostomy site. Alternatively, these changes simply may
reflect postsurgical changes.
2. No evidence of small bowel obstruction...
 
"Enterocutanious fistula" is especially fun to google; go ahead, give it a whirl. I'd very much prefer to not have that.  I don't know why whatever I experienced was so painful.  I'll need to wait for my surgeon's interpretation of these results.  
 
In the meantime I'm going to go with the stated alternative of "postsurgical changes."  All my insides are just settling in.  I'm okay with that, so long as it doesn't hurt.  And it still hasn't recurred, so maybe I'm out of the woods.  I do have a really long walk to finish in the not too distant future - no whammies, no whammies...

2 comments: