Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Final Takedown (Surgery 4 of 4)

Yesterday's last surgery was successful; takedown complete.  I pulled another vasavagol after the IV was placed, though managed not to throw up this time.  I wonder if I'll suffer the same with the next IV - I get one for each CT scan so they can inject the contrast at the end before final imaging.  It could be anxiety more than the IV in and of itself.  Surgery is terrifying, after all.

I am not used to having my belly back yet.  I don't recognize it, with all its scars and asymmetrical little bulges from being opened and closed so many times.  There is still a bandage covering this last wound, however I tried to take a good look when they changed it this morning.  One last bizarre hole to close up.

I used to put my hand over my stoma, sometimes to hide it, or hide the bag, sometimes to push on the bag's adhesive, or to muffle it a bit.  I am still doing that even though there is no bag, nothing that needs support.  The wound hurts; I need to walk and move to recover but that makes it hurt more.  So I keep cradling it thinking that will help, and out of habit.

I thought I might make it through without narcotics this time, but walking put me over the pain edge, so back to my old friend oxy.  Much less of it though. Only 2.5 mg at a time - more than that puts me to sleep, so I know 2.5 is enough.  Especially with a Tylenol chaser.  

Still have to get my GI tract to completely wake up before they'll let me go home.  It's partially awake.  I'm sleepy though.  Signing off from my private room, with a view even, at the Faulkner.

No comments:

Post a Comment