Friday, May 6, 2016

I miss food

Things haven't gotten much better.  For the last ten days or so I've just sat around watching bad movies, or sleeping, and moaning when the cramps come around.  I had already planned to take this past week off for leave, to rest and recover - I had no idea I'd need it as much as I have.  Given other associated digestive issues I was advised to stick to a non-dairy low fiber diet until things resolve some more.  It's the most boring food in the universe.  I'm living off of english muffins, bananas, and mashed potatoes.  I have been dreaming about a big cheesy brick of meat lasagna from Jack's in Malden and giant bowls of vanilla ice cream.  I couldn't have any of my daughter's birthday cake last week (we saved some in the freezer for when I'm better).  I did sneak a donut hole the other day.  It was good.  I couldn't tell if it made the cramps any worse.

On the bright side, I've found the ultimate fail-proof diet scheme: 5-6 weeks of radiation to your lower abdomen and you won't want to eat anything!  I've lost 15 pounds in the last 2 weeks.  I have no strength left.  It's post-surgery all over again.  I'm walking with my cane, all hunched over, can barely make it around the corner before I have to sit down, or end up doubled over waiting for a cramp to pass.  My radiation oncologist said it would be a rough couple of weeks once treatments finished but I was not expecting this.  And it started before it was even over! 

Oh well.  This too shall pass.

1 comment:

  1. Radiation is no joke. It's cumulative and is far worse than one might expect. But it will pass... and you will feel better... but I do not like how shitty you are feeling right now. Nothing to do but let time pass, but please know I'm thinking of you all the time.

    ReplyDelete