Saturday, December 5, 2015

Weights and Measures

Weights:
- As of this morning I've gained back 10 of the ~25 pounds that I lost over the course of my two summer surgeries.  I don't think I need to gain the other 15 back; my clothes fit better at this weight, and that's extra important now that my belly is a little asymmetrical and scar-studded.  Comfort is key.  I'm still careful about my protein intake, and fruits and veggies, but no longer concerned about being scrawny or weak, or feeling like I have to eat every 2 hours no matter what.  I feel pretty strong these days, at least on the off weeks.  All the stairs, all the time.

- I am eagerly awaiting my surgical followup on 12/17 to find out if it's okay for me to lift my son again.  He weighs a little more than three times the 10 lb limit that was imposed back in September.  Poor Dad has had to do all the boy carrying since then.  My turn!

Measures:
- Dana-Farber really is slow about their billing.  I did finally get one claims statement related to chemotherapy but I can't tell if it was for one or two treatments.  If it was for just one then each treatment is something like $6,600.  Those are some expensive toxic chemicals.  I'll see what other claim info I get and do another financial update before the year is out.

- Since the tumors were already removed surgically there isn't any shrinkage to watch for to see if the therapy is "working."  I do have a CT scan coming up, also on 12/17 - chest, abdomen, pelvis - to make sure there are no surprises.  My oncologist does not expect to see anything different, but obviously better safe than sorry.  Still hard to feel lucky that this metastasized to organs that are removable, but wow, that was lucky.

- We have 20 shopping days left til Christmas.  How did that happen?

- The last 4 treatments have been nearly identical in terms of side affects.  I haven't really experienced any accumulation of side affects yet.  The cold sensitivity comes on quick and is more intense and I guess lasts a little longer now, but not significantly longer.  Fatigue has been pretty consistent.  I just have to wait and see if any of this changes.

- Course 6 starts Monday.  When it is over I'll be halfway through.  It feels like "only halfway" instead of "hooray halfway!"  Such a long slog.  And no decision yet on radiation afterwards, or if/when my ostomy might be reversed (more surgery).  It's really still too soon to think about I guess.

- By ANY measure, I have the best family and friends and colleagues and community in the universe.  I am reminded of that every second of every day.  You all rock and roll and reggae.

1 comment: