Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Back to work, from home...

I did make it to the office yesterday - progress!  I was wicked anxious before I left the house; arriving at my office gave me a pretty huge mental and emotional boost.  Nice to not feel like a recluse and see some friendly faces and take back some of the work my excellent colleagues had taken up for me in my absence. 

Making it home was something of an ordeal though.  It never occurred to me that I might be fairly active at work; I have a desk job after all.  I guess I am up and about for meetings and whatnot more often than I realize.  I also noticed I sit on the edge of my chair at work almost all the time, leaning forward or sitting straight up, while at home I mostly sit back and put my feet up on the windowsill under my desk.  And of course, I've spent a whole lot of time just lying down the last six weeks.  These things - and the fact that I clearly have not regained a lot of my strength quite yet - made for a long afternoon.  I definitely got achy and sore.  Even sitting back wasn't comfortable by the time I left.  I have a decent walk to the subway from my office, and making it back at the end of the day was a struggle.  I was definitely walking very slow, and got all tensed up and hunched like I used to when I first started walking after the second surgery.  I became the annoying slow person I used to despise!!

But I survived and made it home and basically didn't move the rest of the evening.  I decided before I fell asleep that I should work from home today instead of making the trek downtown.  I woke up this morning feeling like a small truck had hit me so I think I made the right decision.  Working from home was all good today.  The afternoon still brought a little aching and soreness.  Who would have thought sitting in a chair for a few hours would be so exhausting.

Tomorrow will be another work from home day.  And then maybe a drive to work day.  And then maybe I'll try the usual commute again.  All in good time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Erin. We've been busy moving into a new house, so I'm just now catching up on your progress from the last week. It occurred to me what a luxury it is to be able to check out of your situation and then check back in when life makes it convenient. That's not really fair, is it? You don't have the option to say, "Hey, Cancer. I'm kinda busy today. Let's catch up again on Friday, mmmkay?" Anyway, it looks like you are handling it like a champ and learning to accept your limitations. Keep up the good fight.
    Oh, and your hair looks amazing!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete