Wednesday, August 30, 2017

For old time's sake?

So, because nothing can be easy, my final ileostomy takedown has left me with the ocassional partial bowel obstruction.  It's happened five times since that surgery in May with varying degrees of pain.  At my 3-month surgical followup I described my symptoms and my surgeon recommended an MRI to see if a "stricture" might be present.  If so, and symptoms become intolerable, then surgery is an option to try and remove, or maybe dilate the intestine in that spot, or something similar - all dependent on what the imaging shows.

I already know I don't want more surgery.  I think I've had enough for one lifetime, and I can chew my food well and avoid super-fibrous things to mitigate.  But the image would be good information.  When making the appointment they gave me the basic rundown - no solid food for 6 hours before, drink lots of contrast, about 30 minutes for the actual imaging.  I asked if an IV was necessary and was told no.  

That was bad information.  Arriving here today it was confirmed I do need one.  And now I'm anxious because I have to drink a bunch of noxious liquid and have a needle stuck in my arm and am dreading a repeat of the February pre-surgery vasovagal episode from hell.

So here I am this morning, shivering in the basement of BWH, drinking barium sulfate solution and stressing out.  There's also the added bonus of barium-induced diarrhea later on.  GOOD TIMES.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stumbled over here from a different page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page again. colorectal surgery Houston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, very good blog!
    Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks colorectal surgeons Houston

    ReplyDelete