Saturday, March 4, 2017

Third time's a charm

I feel I am now a surgical recovery expert.  This time around hasn't been anywhere near as terrifying as the last time, at least on the post-op side of things (pre-op side was definitely more terrifying).  The pain has not been as bad despite having nearly the exact same incision; the number of internal organs they remove does make a difference.  Surgery was also only half as long as last time and I was not super sick going into it.  Staples are still uncomfortable and I'm walking with a hunch again but do not need my cane, at least not around the house.  Last night I had the first really good night's sleep I've had since the pre-op appointments.  This morning I took one less oxycodone and I'm not dying.  I can raise my arms above my head, but don't know yet if I can still touch my toes.  I'll have to wait for staples to come out before I check (hurts too much to bend that far).  I am wearing my Fitbit again and each day trying to get more steps than the day before.  This isn't saying much - the first day I only took 591 steps.  I'm looking to break 1,000 today.  Tomorrow I might even walk outside.

I am also no longer a needle ninny.  I went home with three weeks' worth of Lovanox injections, same as last time, but this time I AM INJECTING MYSELF.  What?!?  Yes, it's true.  I can now stick a needle in my own body, albeit an extremely small needle that feels like almost nothing, containing a small amount of liquid that doesn't sting.  On the day I was discharged the nurses did a teaching with me and had me do the first one.  I sat on the edge of the bed with the needle pointing at my leg for fifteen minutes before I had the courage to push it in.  I waited for the visiting nurse the first two days at home to make sure I could still do it (I could) and yesterday I did the first one all by myself.  I guess after a cancer diagnosis, chemo, radiation, abnormal anatomy, and three surgeries, a little needle stick isn't a big deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment